Website Green Mountain Horse Association
Title: Grounds Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Schedule: Full-time Seasonal
FLSA: Exempt – Salaried Mid-April through End-October, including weekends and holidays as necessary
Purpose: Prepare and maintain GMHA’s grounds for all events, facilitate operations during events, and restore grounds to optimal condition after events.
- Maintenance of grounds and event equipment: Mowing, weed-whacking, trail maintenance, trash removal and recycling, hay and shavings delivery, manure pit cleaning, painting, and miscellaneous repairs.
- Maintenance and upkeep of buildings: Routine repairs, winterizing, cleanliness and organization of maintenance shops.
- Management of vehicles and equipment: Purchasing, repairs, assignments, regular cleaning, preventive maintenance, winterizing, and storage.
- Event set-up and tear-down: Working with staff, contractors, and course designers provide support for event set-up including watering and dragging rings, moving and set-up of jumps and dressage rings, remove, repair, and store event equipment after events.
- Trail work: Clipping, clearing, distributing and filling watering tanks, and road crossing signage.
- Budget: Provide input for annual grounds and facilities budget, review grounds budget to evaluate monthly spending, provide input into project and supply costs, research and acquire bids as necessary.
- Supervision of grounds staff: Develop daily and weekly schedules for staff, provide training, oversee work assignments, assess performance, manage conflicts, and solve problems
In conjunction with the Executive Director, select contractors, define and document projects, negotiate fees, and approve work and payment
Skills, Knowledge & Qualifications:
- Management skills: Ability to direct the work of and provide hands-on leadership for the grounds crew.
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of trucks, tractors, trailers, and ATVs.
- Ability to operate and maintain small equipment (e.g. weed-whacker, lawnmower, power tools, etc.).
- Ability to read blue prints, diagrams, and equipment manuals.
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors regardless of weather conditions.
- Basic “handyman” skills (e.g. basic carpentry and mechanical repairs, painting, etc.).
- Basic computer skills (e.g. Outlook Email & Calendar, Word, Excel).
- Willingness to work to meet deadlines, working flexible hours as needed.
- Fitness for physically demanding work such as heavy lifting and carrying on a daily basis.
- Basic knowledge of equestrian events.
- Good communication skills and a personable manner towards supervisors, staff, clients, suppliers, and the general public.
- Ability to interact with others with tact and diplomacy.
- Honesty, reliability, and a good work ethic.
- Valid driver’s license.