Members' Days & Clinics
Educate yourself and your horse! Join us for a clinic or schooling day.
GMHA is one of the premier equestrian facilities in the Northeast.
Clinics of all varieties, of interest to all disciplines, are offered each year for riders of all ages and abilities. Please browse our offerings below, or contact us to learn which clinic is the best fit for you.
Many clinics are also open to auditors!
Biosecurity Fact Sheet: Help Keep Our Horses Healthy!
Know the Law, Be Prepared
Vermont Agency of Agriculture GMHA recommends that all riders and drivers review important information from the VAA regarding Vermont State Law on Horse Importation and all should consider obtaining an Exhibition Permit. GMHA has received word that the Vermont Agency of Agriculture will be increasing their enforcement efforts.
Zero to Fifty in One Day: Trail Riding Competitions & Strategies for Success
March 22, 2014
Learn more about the broad spectrum of trail competitions, from judged pleasure rides to competitive trail, to 50 mile endurance.See event details »
Hartland Riding Club, VERDA, and GMHA are kicking off the spring riding season with a fun and informative one day clinic. The clinic is for new or prospective trail competitors, but also for anyone who values trail riding as a useful cross-training and conditioning activity. A broad spectrum of competitive formats will be covered, from judged pleasure trail to competitive distance to 50-mile endurance.
Topics covered will include:
- horse suitability
- judging & scoring
- and strategies for success
There will be short presentations, hands-on exercises with horses, and a panel discussion. All of the clinicians have twenty or more years' experience in some aspect of competitive trail riding.
- Dan Boyer and Joan Stratemeyer are certified competitive trail judges and accomplished competitors and breeders of trail horses.
- Heather Hoyns, DVM, is a veterinary judge for competitive trail and FEI Endurance, Dressage, and Combined Driving and an active competitor with more than 11,000 miles, including Best Condition at the 2013 Old Dominion 100 mile Endurance ride.
- Jenny Kimberly and Debra Fisk are multiple high point winners in endurance and competitive trail, both locally and regionally.
Information and ride calendars from local and national competitive trail organizations will also be available to help participants to plan their upcoming season.
The clinic will take place from 9am to 3:30pm at GMHA. Light breakfast and lunch will be provided.
The participation fee is $12 for youth and $18 for adults.
The closing date for registration is March 14. Early registration is encouraged as space is limited.
Send registration forms to Megan via email OR mail to GMHA, ATTN:Trail Clinic, PO Box 8, S. Woodstock, VT 05071 OR fax to (802) 457-4471.
Join us for great horse related activities on these winter evenings:See event details »
Many of us horse lovers stay in beautiful Vermont for the winter. The lack of horse-related activities can result in us not seeing our horsey friends for months. Sign up and put the following dates on your calendar to come and enjoy a ‘horse-lovers’ evening where we can exchange news, share stories, plan for the coming season and learn something too.
Membership to the GMHA “Winter Warriors” Club is free, and open to current GMHA members. Members are welcome to bring guests – no charge! Those attending are encouraged to bring and share nibbles and drinks that we can all partake of while we chat. Meetings will be on Wednesdays in the GMHA Members’ Room at 5:30pm.
December 11: Breed Versatility: Pros and cons of different breeds for different disciplines
Bring along: Photos of your horses (past and present) and stories of their accomplishments.
January 8: Conditioning Programs, Interval Training & Cross-Training
Bring along: Ideas to share about how to promote fitness and minimize injury risk
February 12: Ask the Guest Experts: Panel Discussion
Bring along: Questions on training problems you would like help with
March 12: Rider/Trainer Psychology
Led by Jane Rodd Ph.D. Bring along: Pen and paper to complete a fun psych evaluation to learn more about yourself.
April 16: Topic TBD by Members
Contact Jane to sign up.
Members enjoy free use of our facility and trails!See event details »
Join GMHA to gain access to our fantastic facility and trails!
Members' Days are opportunities for GMHA's members to come and use our facility and trails at NO COST!
(* = Trails closed until Memorial Day- May 26.)
April 28-29 *
May 1 *
May 5 (+ Dressage) *
May 7-8 *
May 12 (+ Driving) *
May 13-15 *
May 19 (+ Jumping) *
May 20 *
June 9-11 (+ Cross Country)
June 16 (+ Dressage)
June 23 (+ Cross Country, Dressage, Jumping)
July 8 (+ Cross Country)
July 14 (+ Jumping)
August 11-12 (+ Cross Country)
August 18 (+ Jumping)
August 25-26 (+ Driving)
September 8 (+ Dressage)
September 15 (+ Cross Country)
September 22 (+ Driving)
October 6 (+ Dressage)
October 14 (+ Cross Country)
October 16 (+ Cross Country)
All days listed are "General Members' Days", which means that our grounds and trails are open for schooling. Specialized equipment (jumps, cones, dressage rings, cross-country portables, etc) may or may not be available.
Days listed as (+ ------) are Members' Days Plus Special Equipment. The grounds and trails are open for schooling PLUS there will be specialized equipment available for your use (ie. Dressage = dressage rings; Jumping = a full jump course; Cross Country = portables will be set; Driving = cones course/hazards/driving dressage ring available).
ALL rings, trail loops, or cross country areas may or may not be available depending on grounds use, work schedules, and conditions. Call the office to confirm which areas are available AND be sure to check the new Check-In Station on the office porch when you arrive.
In order to participate in a Members’ Day, we need:
- Your signature on a GMHA release form (once a year)
- Your horse’s negative coggins and proof of rabies vaccination within 12 months on file
- Your membership (and the memberships of all in your party, including trainers!) must be current OR pay the non-member facility use fee.
- Helmets and armbands are REQUIRED for all riders on grounds/trails.
Wheel & Ridge Runners (Monthly)
Monthly group lesson series with Robin Groves for drivers and riders.See event details »
April 22 - May 6 - June 17 - July 15 - August 19 - September 16 - October 7
Wheel & Ridge Runners is a monthly group lesson series with Robin Groves. Wheel Runners sessions are for drivers, Ridge Runners sessions are for riders.
Wheel & Ridge Runners will be sharing dates again this year. How will this work?
- Ridge Runners lessons will be offered at 1pm.
- Wheel Runners lessons will be offered at 10am and 2pm OR 11am and 3pm.
- Entries must be received by the Friday before each date- four entries in each session are required to hold each lesson.
- Wheel Runners sessions may be combined if entries are low, Ridge Runners may be cancelled.
If you have not driven with Robin before, please contact her before entering: (802) 484-5016.
Junior Horsemanship Clinic
(June 28-July 7, 2014)
GMHA's Junior Horsemanship Clinic is now in its 58th year, and is the premier eventing camp for young riders ages 9-17!See event details »
Junior Horsemanship Clinic
Now in its 58th year, GMHA's Junior Horsemanship Clinic is the premier eventing camp for young riders ages 9-17. Riders bring their own horses or ponies to camp, and receive quality mounted and unmounted instruction.Riders will school all three phases of eventing: dressage, cross-country, and show jumping. Please view our brochure for more details!
Our facility includes four all-weather riding rings, a newly upgraded cross-country course, six permanent barns, an extensive trail system, a Youth Center facility, and snack bar. GMHA has a rich history in eventing, having hosted Horse Trials for over 50 years, and educated many top riders, including Olympians Denny Emerson and Lana Wright, well-known competitors Ashley MacVaugh and Marcia Kulak, and rising star Kylie Lyman to name just a few!
Words from our campers and parents:
• James Day, age 14, of Duxbury, MA has attended the clinic for the past three years with his pony ‘Tucket.”It’s a lot of fun, and I definitely get a lot out of the experience in terms of horsemanship and my riding skills,” says James, a Beginner Novice rider. “I stay in touch with many of the kids I met at the clinic.”
• Two summers ago, fifteen-year-old Christiana Sollars, of Oahu’s North Shore in Hawaii, heard about the JHC from her mother who lived near GMHA as a girl. To their delight, Christiana received a scholarship award that enabled her attend the JHC and make what would become for her “an unforgettable summer.”
• Nine-year-old Daisy Foregger’s first sleepover was also her first time attending the JHC last summer. She and her sister, Lily (age 11) stayed at nearby Hyacinth House and rode their bikes to GMHA each morning. “They had an amazing time, and the instruction was incredible,” says mom Liz Hinckley, of Waterbury, VT. “The camp emphasizes the highest standards of horsemanship. The girls didn’t want to leave.” As Daisy summed it up, “It was the best camp ever! It was so fun, and I got to do my first event!”
• Melissa Bauman, 11, of South Reading, VT, recieved a scholarship that helped defray the cost of the camp. One of five children, she hadn’t considered the JHC due to the cost. When news came that Mellissa was being awarded a scholarship based on financial need, she was “absolutely thrilled,” according to her mom Cindy. “I had attended other riding camps, but they were nothing like GMHA’s JHC,” says Melissa. During the camp, Melissa rode cross-country for the first time and was awarded the “Barn Managers Award” for her hard work and outstanding care of her horse and tack.
Please see our FAQs for details on how to register for camp!
Applications are now being accepted! The deadline to get your application in is Thursday, May 1, 2014.
- JHC Student Application
- JHC Scholarship Application
- JHC Brochure *Maggie Stavish is not available
- JHC FAQ's
Info for participants:
Be sure to like GMHA Junior Horsemanship Clinic's Facebook Page! You can find information and updates here, along with pictures of the camp!
Check the status of your entry and who else will be at the JHC this summer at showgroundslive.com!
USEA Adult Clinic
(June 2-7, 2014)
The premier eventing camp for adults! Spend a week immersed in training with wonderful clinicians.See event details »
Join the premier eventing camp for adults! Enjoy riding lessons twice a day from leading trainers in dressage and eventing. Camp is held on the GMHA grounds.
Customized programs, stabling, and meals are included. Lots of fun for the adult amateur who wants to spend a week immersed in training with wonderful clinicians.
Contact Barbara Marks at 561-236-2462.
CVDA Adult Camp
(June 10-11, 2014)
Welcoming horses and riders of all levels to annual clinic at GMHASee event details »
USEA Young Rider Camp
See event details »
Western New England Pony Club Clinic
See event details »